franchissement de la rivière Peel près de Fort McPherson: haut lieu de la production de toiles (canvas) pour les tentes en particulier.
Fort McPherson (Gwich’in language: Teet'lit Zheh[pronunciation?] at the head of the waters) is a hamlet located in the Inuvik Region of the Northwest Territories, Canada. It is located on the east bank of the Peel River and is 121 km (75 mi) south of Inuvik on the Dempster Highway.
The first Northwest Territories community driving north on the Dempster Highway, Fort McPherson is the oldest of the Mackenzie Delta communities. It began as a trading post on the Peel River in 1840. By the 1850s Gwich'in families settled here and by 1903 the first Gwich'in minister of the Anglican church was ordained. For a century, York boats and sternwheelers called here with goods and passengers for northern points. Today this is home to a remarkable language program where the Gwich'in develop written materials and document their heritage.
The community has a hotel, restaurant, two general stores and a gas station. A tent and canvas factory makes tents and soft sided luggage, all for sale. Don't miss the Nitainlaii Visitor Centre that provides an introduction to Gwich'in culture, and the little Anglican graveyard where members of the Lost Patrol, a Northwest Mounted Police patrol lost in the winter of 1911, are buried. There’s a music festival nearby each summer at Midway Lake.
Population is 776 according to the 2006 Census, a slight increase over the 2001 Census count of 761. In 2009 the Government of the Northwest Territories reported that the population was 791 with an average yearly growth rate of -1.1 from 1996. In the 2006 Census 715 people identified as aboriginal, 650 as North American Indian, 30 as Métis, 30 as Inuit or Inuvialuit, 10 giving multiple or other aboriginal responses and 55 Non-Aboriginal.
The two principal languages spoken are Gwich'in and English. Fort McPherson is accessible by road all year from Dawson City and Whitehorse, Yukon, with the exception of spring break-up and fall freeze-up on the Peel River. The community also has access to Inuvik via the Dempster Highway and crosses the Mackenzie River at Tsiigehtchic.
Originally the site of a Hudson's Bay Company post the community was named for "Murdoch McPherson".
The Gwich’in people of Fort McPherson are very welcoming of strangers and go out of their way to make them welcome. Most people have vehicles and regularly make trips to either Inuvik, or Whitehorse.